Friday, November 6, 2009

Netflix still thinks I’m gay, as Tech-Media-Tainment turns 1-year-old today

The staff of Tech-Media-Tainment celebrated the Web site’s first anniversary today.
And by staff, I mean me.
A year ago, I started this blog as a catchall for things that interest me – entertainment, pop culture, technology and the news media.
My first post on Nov. 6, 2008, was about how Netflix thought I was gay. (Not that there’s anything wrong with that.) The online movie rental service was suggesting numerous gay-themed movie lists for me to peruse.
Netflix recently announced an improved automated movie recommendation system. So as a follow-up to the year-ago post, I decided to see if Netflix still thought I was gay.
I checked out the Members’ Top 10 Lists page to see what lists the system recommended for me.
The result?
Netflix still thinks I’m gay, but less so than a year ago.
Two of 20 lists chosen based on my queue and ratings are gay-themed or 10%. That compares with five of 20 lists, or 25%, from a year ago.
Netflix is starting to figure me out after all.

No comments: