Sunday, September 13, 2009

Slim pickings this fall TV premiere season


Thank God for Netflix.
This year’s fall network TV season offers a skimpier selection of interesting new shows than prior years.
I’ve made notes to check out four new shows and only one of them I’m dying to see.
Of the four, one has aired – “Vampire Diaries.” It premiered Thursday on the CW and it was just OK. A little too much “been there, done that” in terms of story. Still it had enough interesting elements to get me to tune in for a couple more episodes. But it will have to improve to keep my interest.
I’ll be checking out “The Jay Leno Show” on Monday, but I don’t think it will be appointment television unless he gets a standout guest. The show runs 10-11 p.m. Eastern Monday through Friday on NBC. I’ll probably just watch it every now and then to wind down from the day before going to bed.
Another show I’ll be checking out with low expectations is the remake of sci-fi television show “V.” It’s bound to have better special effects than the campy 1980s original. It premieres Nov. 3 on ABC.
The only new show on my must-see list is ABC’s science-fiction series “FlashForward” from David S. Goyer and Brannon Braga. It premieres Sept. 24. (See preview above.)
As for returning primetime shows, I expect to continue watching “30 Rock,” “Dollhouse,” “House,” and “Supernatural.” Another favorite, “Lost,” won’t return until January.
Now in its final season, “Supernatural” looks to be one of those rare shows like “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” and “Battlestar Galactica” that goes out on top in terms of quality. The fifth season premiere on Thursday was terrific.

No comments: