Saturday, August 29, 2009

Sugar Stacks: Graphically shows you how much sugar you eat


I’ve got to cut down on the amount of sugar I eat. Sugary breakfast cereals, Coca-Cola, cookies, ice cream, etc. It’s not good for my health. I know that, but I’ve got a sweet tooth.
The American Heart Association recently reported that Americans swallow 22 teaspoons of sugar each day, according to the Associated Press. Most of that sugar comes from soft drinks and candy, the group says. Most men should be getting no more than 9 teaspoons day. For women, the recommended limit is 6 teaspoons.
A great Web site for seeing how much sugar you ingest by type of food is Sugar Stacks. The site posts photos of food alongside cubes of white sugar as a visual aid to show how much sugar is in it.
Those 12-ounce cans of Coca-Cola I drink have 39 grams of sugar each. Yikes.

Editor’s note: This is the latest in a series on Tech-Media-Tainment’s favorite Web sites.

No comments: