Saturday, July 11, 2009

Clock is ticking for GeoCities


Yahoo has set a date for pulling the plug on its GeoCities personal Web site hosting service: Oct. 26.
I have a bunch of photo Web pages that I’ll need to download from the service before it’s terminated. I used GeoCities from December 1998 until December 2004 to post photos and document vacations, my engagement, honeymoon and the birth of my son, among other things.
I returned to GeoCities in July 2007 to make a quickie Web page that showed what me and a friend would look like as Simpsons cartoon characters -- thanks to a Burger King promotion for "The Simpsons Movie." (See photo above.)
Yahoo e-mailed GeoCities users late Thursday about its termination plans. In April, Yahoo announced its intent to end the out-of-date service later in the year, but offered no deadline. Now we know that GeoCities will end in a little over three months.
Yahoo’s e-mail said, “Don't Wait: Please be aware that after October 26, your GeoCities files will be deleted from our servers, and will not be recoverable.”
Looks like I’ll have to get busy.

No comments: