Saturday, June 17, 2017

Spring cleaning: Removing link rot

Every year I run a program to scan for broken links on Tech-media-tainment. The result is always the same – numerous weblinks on my blog that no longer work. This is a problem called link rot.
Usually I see mostly broken links to news articles, but this year I saw a lot of broken links related to canceled social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter and elsewhere.
I used the Online Broken Link Checker and found 198 broken links this year. When I ran the online program last year, I found 161 broken links. So the problem is getting worse from my perspective.
The situation shows how there is no permanence on the internet.
Plus, it's a real pain in the butt to remove all those dead links.

Related articles:

Link rot, a problem with no end in sight (June 28, 2016)

Link rot scourge continues (March 7, 2015)

The scourge of link rot (June 29, 2014)

No comments: