Sunday, June 4, 2017

Contender for worst popular song of 2017

Hands down the worst popular song on Top 40 radio right now is “Say You Won’t Let Go” by James Arthur. I hate it and have to change the channel when it comes on.
Some might say this song is a romantic ballad. I say it’s a creepy song about a super clingy, embarrassingly needy guy who will do whatever it takes to get one woman’s love.
He demonstrated his love for her after they first met in a bar and drank too much. “I held your hair back when you were throwing up,” he reminds her. Yuck! And please no.
He pleads and pleads with her, saying he’ll do whatever it takes. “I'll wake you up with some breakfast in bed. I'll bring you coffee with a kiss on your head. And I'll take the kids to school.” Etc., etc.
He tells her not just “I wanna stay with you until we’re grey and old,” but “I wanna live with you, even when we’re ghosts.” What the hell? Lady, stay away from this guy. He’s a freak.
The summer of 2017 is still young and there’s still lots of time for more bad popular songs to emerge. But “Say You Won’t Let Go” has to be a top contender for worst popular song of the year.
It is now ranked No. 12 on the Billboard Hot 100 list, down from No. 11 when it peaked last week. Thank God it’s fading.

No comments: