Saturday, June 1, 2013

‘Supernatural,’ ‘Revolution,’ ‘Walking Dead’ bright spots of 2012-13 TV season

The 2012-13 TV season is drawing to a close and it’s time to assess the hits and misses.

The Hits 

“Supernatural,” which just concluded its eighth season on the CW, continues to find ways to entertain and surprise me. The finale featured a great cliffhanger, capped with angels falling from heaven.
The mythology around the Winchester brothers as demon and monster hunters is every bit as rich as the worlds created by Joss Whedon of “Firefly” and “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” fame.
The post-apocalyptic science-fiction drama “Revolution” is my pick for the best new show of the season. It was created by Eric Kripke, who also created “Supernatural.”
NBC’s “Revolution” improved as the first season progressed, especially as details emerged about what caused the global blackout.


In its third season, zombie apocalypse drama “The Walking Dead” hit its stride. The body count increased and the situation grew more dire for the survivors. The AMC horror drama series has gotten more intense and suspenseful.
Fantasy-adventure cartoon “Adventure Time” is perhaps my favorite show. Creator Pendleton Ward has made a show that works for both adults and youngsters. He’s created a weird and amazing world and populated with colorful characters. The Cartoon Network show packs a lot of heart, humor and intelligence into each 11-minute episode. The dialogue is brilliant and I frequently find myself quoting from the show.
I also liked the second season of the FX show “American Horror Story,” called “Asylum.” It was sick and twisted, but compelling TV.


The Pretty Good 

I’m still watching “The Vampire Diaries,” but after four seasons it’s definitely past its freshness date. In a perfect world, the CW would look to conclude the series before they drain all the blood out of the story. I’m about ready to bail on this show, especially with a spin-off series, “The Originals,” coming this fall. Two shows is too much for this property.
NBC’s serial killer drama “Hannibal” has moments of brilliance, but I’m looking for more suspense and surprises. Hopefully the producers will improve upon the show in season two. I want it to feel more like the Hannibal Lecter movies “Red Dragon” and “Silence of the Lambs.”
ABC canceled two shows that I rather enjoyed, but won’t miss too much. They are edgy sitcom “Don’t Trust the B---- in Apt. 23” and supernatural drama “666 Park Avenue.”


The Misses 

Like a lot of viewers, I opted out of the second season of NBC’s musical melodrama “Smash.” The first season was entertaining enough, but a narrative mess. I also felt like the finale of the first season was a good place to end the show.
I tried watching ABC’s soapy drama “Revenge” at the start of its second season, but quickly gave up. I wasn’t a huge fan of the first season. The narrative in the second season got too confusing for its own good, adding some new conspiracy to an already far-fetched plot.
I also sampled the premieres of “The Following” starring Kevin Bacon and “Zero Hour” starring Anthony Edwards. Neither grabbed me.

Photos: Scene from “Supernatural” season eight (top); promotional photo from “Revolution”; “Adventure Time” title card; “666 Park Avenue” advertisement; and “The Walking Dead” season three poster.


No comments: